Re: TH: NC Street Trees

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------

 On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Dudley R. Hartel wrote:

> ... Several years ago, the Durham city forester was using Willow
> Oak in locations where large trees were appropriate ...

 Dudley R. Hartel - you sure took the words out of my mouth.  I was
 just going to write to Amy that up here in Baltimore, Willow Oaks
 are widely available and are large, *very* attractive shade trees.  I
 figured they must be hardy in the Carolinas as well.  They are how-
 ever rather slow growing -- if well worth the wait.  Perhaps mix them
 with native species that do not take quite so long to mature.

 Of course you south-easterners get to enjoy the beautiful evergreen
 Live Oaks that are not hardy here :( ... Over an even longer span
 of time they spread out incredibly, making them perhaps unsuitable
 for urban streets.  In the parks these great trees are without peer.

 Thanks for writing Amy, keep us posted on your trees in Chapel Hill!

 (un)subscribe Requests:
 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | FloraList Operations | Baltimore USDA Zone 7