Re: TH: Silver Maples

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
Bob,

They are probably the work of gall-forming insects.  If I remember my basic
entomology correctly, they use faux plant hormones to *trick* the plant into
making a home for them, ie, the "red ball".  They are generally not all that
harmful to the overall health of the tree, but could form a part of a larger
complex of stresses.  If you *carefully* cut one open with a razor blade,
you should be able to find a little white insect inside the hollow chamber
of the gall--use a handlens to see it up close.

Best of luck,

Jeremy.