TT: Fall color

Hi again,
I mentioned last week that what I thought was a pecan-in-a-pot was in full
color here in Davis.  It turns out, after I actually looked it up, to be a
Pistacia chinensis, still in glorious color, in a pot on my patio.  It was a
volunteer, and I assumed it was  from a neighboring pecan tree, but it must
have been a bird's gift. No matter, I LIKE it!!  It is several shades of
crimson, and it just glows in the sunlight.  The Chinese pistache is one of
the few colorful (red) trees we have in the central California valley --
there isn't enough cold to be showy like other parts of the country.  Davis
sits in Sunset Zone 14, which I believe translates to  USDA hardiness zone 9.
Cheers,
Mary
Mary Bedard
Landscape Architecture Program