Re: TT: RE: Fall color peaking in Baltimore

>  The forestry crews seem to keep the Ailanthus out pretty well (or is
>  that a function of such broad diversity?)

It may actually be a function of creating the conditions in which all the
other trees survive.  I rarely find ailanthus in rich soil which is
watered regularly.  It, rather seems to like very thin (if any) soil in
places which experience both drought and temporary flooding conditions.

> >  Apologies for making this so long.  Looking at the remaining leaves
>  this time of year, it's obvious that bright sun hitting them ac-
>  celerates (amplifies) their coloration.  Somehow the trees have a
>  'memory' of the current climatic conditions (to borrow a computer
>  term).  So what I'm wondering is, where are these 'memories' recorded?
>  My naive guess is in the leaves themselves, that the biology of one
>  single leaf triggers when it changes color and drops, independent of
>  its peers.  Otherwise the entire tree, or at least large sections
>  of it, would 'fall' all at the same time, which does not appear to
>  be the case (for most resident deciduous species).

In a related unscientifically studied finding of mine, I have noticed that
branches of trees which are next to street lights will hold onto their
leaves far longer (weeks) than branches which are otherwise unilluminated.
I do not know if this is because of the extended light cycle, or the
because of the heat thrown off the lamps.

Ah, what wonderful observations from a city.

Lisa
New York City