TT: Japanese Maple Help Requested

Hello,
	I had to prune a significant portion of my Japanese Maple (one major branch,
about 25% of the tree).  The bark was peeling, almost like it split because
the interior volume increased.  Also, a cross sectional cut of the removed
branch shows a dark area sort of like a stain.
	I am wondering if anyone knows what the disease is and whether there is
anything further I can do to prevent the spread of the disease?  I sealed the
cut, of course, but would appreciate any further suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Baxter
Baltimore, MD Zone 7