TT: Re: Coast Redwoods

The Coast Redwood is used in both of the Sacramento Valley locations I have
lived.  Here in Davis we get some of the coastal fog from the San Francisco
Bay, even though we are 90 miles inland.  What makes the Sequoia
sempervirens comfy in the Yuba-Sutter Counties, further north, however, is
the tule fog, a ground-hugging, thick blanket only 6-8 feet thick, but
persistent.  Yuba City and Marysville get several weeks per summer with
100+ degree heat, but the winter rains and tule fog are evidently enough to
nurture the trees.  S. sempervirens are used for lawns, parks, highways,
and some here on the campus are closely planted and sheared as a very tall
hedge!  (I wouldn't personally do that to such a beautiful tree, but I'm
not in charge.)  Our University of California, Davis Arboretum has a
wonderful redwood grove, a favorite place for students and public alike.

Happy holidays to all,
Mary

>So, has anyone on the list seen any giant sequoias, or seen coast redwoods
>outside the fog belt?  What is your experience with these wonderful ancient
>trees?

Mary Bedard
Landscape Architecture Program
152 Walker Hall