TT: Winter Wildlife

 Greenings Folks -

It seems like I've been connecting more with the squirrels this
year (I know -- I should climb up a tree and act like a nut :).
They are scampering all over the place, planting acorns, etc ...

Here in the mid-Atlantic US, global warming and El Nin'o are bringing
us the wimpiest winter in memory, with recent days approaching 70
degrees F!  This is ridiculous, but mid-winter is the time that we
should be worrying about our warm fuzzy and feathered friends.  Harder
times are still to come.  Maybe some of our readers who really know
could share with the list their gourmet recipes for bird suet, how
best to present it, and some of their other professional secrets.

For berries, the little Washington Hawthorns are looking great around
these parts, even with their huge thorns -- sharp as tacks!  Hollies,
flowering witch-hazels are also at their best this time of the year.

This of course is another Thank You to Tom Kimmerer for the wonderful
Native American myth about the evergreens -- the trees that don't sleep,
providing shelter and food for the animals until better times return ...

On a side note, if anyone wants to get onto or get off of this list,
change your subscription to the digest edition or back to the daily,
you can simply email me at the following:

Richard@Flora.Com
RT Ellsberry
TreeTown Baltimore USDA Zone 7