TT: Hoosier Banana?

What a great tree to start off the year!  Pawpaw, Asimina triloba,
Annonaceae, is also known in Kentucky as papaw (also a term for
grandfather), and Hoosier banana.  These two terms are endless sources of
amusement to my students. "Hoosier banana?"  "I don't know, who's yours?"
(There are less polite versions of this a la Mae West). Another name is
possum haw.

Pawpaw is a small understory tree that reproduces clonally in patches
(there's an old fiddle tune called "Chicken in the Pawpaw patch).  It has a
very tropical appearance, with its large entire leaves, and indeed it is a
member of the important tropical family Annonaceae.  This family includes
such important fruits as soursop, custard apple and cheremoya.  Carolyn's
pawpaw, Carica papaya, is known in North America as papaya, one of the most
important of all tropical fruits.  Carica papaya is a member of the family
Caricaceae, and the plant is a sub-tree, or giant herb.

Among the 8 species of Asimina, four-petal pawpaw, Asimina tetramera, is
globally endangered, now occuring only in a single county park and a few
private tracts in North Florida.  Prospects for recovery of the species are
good, as it propagates readily from seed and cuttings.

Pawpaw is, as Gary points out, a delicious fruit, if you can outcompete the
possums.  It is the largest of all native fruits in the Eastern Deciduous
Forest, excluding our friend Osage-orange.  It makes excellent pie and
pudding, as well as being a superb fruit for eating out of the hand.

Pawpaw has been cultivated in a small way since the 19th century. There is a
hobby group, the Pawpaw Foundation, as well as small research projects at
Kentucky State University and the University of Maryland.

Pawpaw can be a lovely ornamental in a large, naturalized landscape,
provided it has adequate shade and little or no soil compaction.  I have
seen it do very well in cities.

Here are some links for more information:
        The TreeWeb pawpaw page:
http://quercus.uky.edu/treeweb/species/astril.htm
        The GardenWeb pawpaw page:
            http://www.au.gardenweb.com/cyberplt/plants/pawpaw.html
        Four Petal pawpaw from the Fish and Wildlife Service:
            http://www.fws.gov/~r9endspp/i/q/saq3q.html

Tom Kimmerer
Forest Biologist
University of Kentucky