TT: Re: Paw Paw vs Papaya

 Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:28:23 -0500
 From: Community Resources <jahnige@communityresources.org>
 Dear Tree Town,

Interesting coments on paw-paws, native fruits, market opportunities
from the non-timber forest products, etc.

Interestingly, my experience is that there is confusion around the
world.  Here in the eastern mid-atlantic of the US we call a paw-paw a
fruit from the Asimina triloba as was mentioned, an understory,
deciduous forest tree,
I have found that in much of the rest of the world, especially the
caribeen and african tropics, paw-paw refers to what we call the papaya
Carica papaya as Carolyn Chadwick discusses.  This is an open crown,
cultivated tree with numerous medinical and food uses (as mentioned).

Intersting how common names can refer to such different fruit.
Do others have other knowledge or stories about these fruit?

Thanks
--
Paul Jahnige
Community Resources