TT: Lawns

I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments regarding lawns.  I think it
should be pointed out however that one cannot simply stop mowing and expect
to have a regeneration to a natural balanced ecosystem.  Here in Minnesota
anyhow one ends up with primarily quackgrass, reed canary grass, buckthorn
(Ramnus sp) (I cannot for the life of me understand why this is still sold
in the nursery trade. No the glossy form is not sterile!) and Honeysuckle
(Lonicera sp.).  All are non-native invasive agressive genera that are
extremely difficult to get rid of.

It takes a lot of effort and follow-up to re-establish a prairie or a
savannah or a regenerating forest canopy.  I do feel that with a little
education lay people would be able to accomplish this on a yard by yard
scale.  I also think the effort, time, energy and expense will pay for
itself in the long run.  Unfortunately, I run into short term thinking head
first too often.  It IS easy to just mow, spray a little round-up etc.

I am involved with a friend who built a home on a wetland and wanted a low
maintenance landscape.  I suggested a minimal lawn, shrubs perennials and
trees mixed in beds and the rest of the yard into prairie.  It took a lot
of hand holding and reassurance to get the couple to accept this plan, but
we are proceeding.  Fall of '96 we seeded and summer of '97 watched some
plants grow with quite a few annual weeds.  We mowed twice in '97 to keep
the seed innoculum down and prevent shading.  We also did some hand pulling
and spot treating with Round-up.  More hand holding and talking.

We dealt with neighbors complaints and a visit from the local weed
inspector.  We made some signs of some color copied pictures laminated
with "Prairie in progress".  This property is in a "Starter Castle"
development with high paid executive types with their manicured lawns
treated by the local Chemlawn or whomever 5 times a year.

It takes a lot of confidence in me for them to continue and 3 to 5 years
until a real looking praire to establish is an eternity to wait for people
in these types of developments.  It is not something where one can roll out
a prairie like one can sod.

Am I ranting??  Sorry. Enough for now.  Just realize what you are getting
yourself into.  Do your homework and be prepared for lots of follow-up
concerns, questions etc.

********************************

           |~
          /|         J. L. Johnson
         /.|\        612.474.6886 x 227
        /. |.\       johns345@maroon.tc.umn.edu
       /J..|..\      Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
      /-L  |...\     Chanhassen, MN 55317-0039

I'd rather be sailing!