TT: RE: State University Agricultural Co-op Extensions ...

I agree with Shaub and Richard that the Cooperative Extension service is one
of the best sources around for good urban forestry information, and yes, it
usually is a two-way exchange.  If we expect the Cooperative Extension
service to provide services for community forestry, we need to request those
services.  Extension is very responsive to consumer demand.  If they get a
lot of requests for community forestry assistance, they will in turn learn
more about it.

If you want to locate your extension agent, there are two ways to do it:

1.  Look in your phone directory under the Federal Government pages, US
Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension.

2.  For more specialized assistance (many county agents are not trained in
forestry or horticulture), you may want to contact your Land Grant
university, which in most states is also the Agricultural Experiment
Station.  You can find a complete guide to all Land Grant institutions, Ag.
Experiment Stations and related institutions at the USDA Cooperative
Extension web site: http://www.reeusda.gov/statepartners/usa.htm

[Disclaimer - though I work at a Land Grant institution, I am a researcher
and teacher, and am not part of the Cooperative Extension Service]

Tom Kimmerer
Forest Biologist
University of Kentucky
Lexington KY 40546-0073