[Fwd: Re: GBlist: [Fwd: professional opinions and this discussion group]]

Robert Seelig (rseelig@ibm.net)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:45:48 -0700

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:52:57 -0700
From: Robert Seelig <rseelig@ibm.net>
To: compost@concentric.net
Subject: Re: GBlist: [Fwd: professional opinions and this discussion group]

Ron Sutcliffe wrote:

> Subject: professional opinions and this discussion group
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:45:20 -0700
> From: Ron Sutcliffe <compost@concentric.net>
> To: mchrs@thecity.sfsu.edu
> CC: Green Building <greenbuilding@crest.org>
>
> Robert Seelig writes;
>
> > We Have several questions:
> >

> This brings up an interesting subject for me. Robert goes on to ask
> several questions about his project. One of them relates to the
> structural integrety of his proposed roof.
>
> My question is this; aren't we practicing structural engineering
> without a licence if we were to give him advice on this matter?
> Further, if Robert goes out and builds this structure relying on such
> advice and the thing falls down, would there be liability incurred to
> someone or some organization associated with this list as a result? Are
> not these discussions archived?
>
> I am curious as to you-all's opinion.
>
> Ron S

To Ron:

I am not asking for structural engineering advise. Our group will be
hiring a structural engineer and our plans will be stamped by a
structural engineer.

My question regarding the live roof specifically was that we wouldlike
to talk with most specifically owners about their experience living
with such an animal as a living roof.

With regard to the question about TJI. Lest me be a little clearer. In
my limited research I had only seen one company who manufactured
engineered wood products and that being Trus Joist MacMillian. I was
hoping to find out whether their was an competition in the marketplace
so that I could compare prices.

It was not my intent to build the building without the consultation of
professional advice, I simply thought this was an ideal place to ask
some general questions and pick the minds of experienced folks on this
list.

I apologize for the confusion.

Robert Seelig
Moab, Utah