Re: GBlist: "Green" Schools Design

rwatson@nrdc.org
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:40:09 -0500

Yes, I think the information in the Sustainable Building Technical
Manual would be a good start for someone building a "green" school.
In Canada there is the "Destination Conservation" program run by the
John Dearness Environmental Society that focuses on involving students
and parents in energy efficiency. Seems like a good one. Contact
Nick Kindler at Tescor Energy Service (416) 730-1704 in Ontario. The
Montgomery County Board of Education also put together some
environmental design guidelines for schools. I gave away my copy of
the materials they had produced, but they seemed to have done a good
job.

Rob Watson
Natural Resources Defense Council
1200 New York Ave. NW Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005

(202) 289-6868 gen
(202) 289-1060 fax
(202) 289-2364 dir

email: rwatson@nrdc.org

Subject: GBlist: "Green" Schools Design
Author: MIME :ROGERS.MICHAEL@epamail.epa.gov at INTERNET
Date: 2/18/97 6:24 PM

I don*t recall the original question re: designing *green* schools, but the
following may be of interest.

A *Sustainable Building Technical Manual* (co-sponsored by Public Technology,
Inc.; U.S. Green Building Council; U.S. Dept. of Energy; U.S. EPA) has
recently been published. *The manual*s primary intent is to
provide public and private building industry professionals with suggested
practices across the full cycle of a building project, from site planning to
building design, construction and operations.*

While the manual does not provide a *blueprint* for sustainable design--and as
we*ve seen in discussions on this list, there isn*t *a* right way for many
design decisions--it does walk one through the types of things to
consider, and the questions to ask. (Presumably with the help of a
professional.) Throughout the manual there are references to local
governments, what they can do, and things they should think about. I
think the material would be useful for folks planning a new school.

Has anyone seen this? If so, what do you think?

(I believe more info is available on the Green Building Council web site.)