GBlist: Comment on Watson's Green Building Council LEED and

Hal Levin (hlevin@cruzio.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:21:01 -0800

At 12:40 PM 2/19/97 -0500, Rob Watson of NRDC wrote:
> I'm heading up the committee of people trying to develop and bring the
> LEED system to market.
[snip]
> Which brings me to "benchmarking". LEED is not really intended to
> perform benchmarking which at this stage, in my opinion, can't be done
> meaningfully. I don't believe that it is possible to compare
> environmental problems across media in an objective fashion. If we
> want to get "majority opinion" to agree than one thing is better or
> worse than another that's fine, but let's be aware that it is a
> subjective judgment.
[snip]
Rob is leading the US Green Building Council's effort to develop a rating
system to guide green building evaluation. I called Rob to tell him that the
European life cycle assessment (LCA) methodologies standardize comparing
across media. Contrary to his assertion above, it can be done objectively.
They call it NORMALIZATION. References below cover the methodology and
illustrate and its application.

It is the WEIGHTING of different environmental effects or impacts that
requires subjective judgment. But, even that can be made systematic (not
objective, but potentially consistent) by using consistent criteria and
applying them consistently. Values will still enter in. That is unavoidable.
That is exactly why I insist that we talk about them - if we don't, then we
are likely just using those of the people who are currently empowered by
default. We should not refuse to talk about values that we don't share,
whether we think we can change them or not. We cannot change them if we do
not talk about them.

The value choices are always present. They cannot be avoided. Not discussing
them or pretending they are not there, or not making them explicit does not
make them go away. It simply hides them from view and precludes discussion.
Why are we so afraid to discuss values? Just because we may disagree? All
the important decisions are made with tremendous dependence on embedded
values. Sustainability is about values - valuing other species, and valuing
other humans, living now and in the future.

If we confront decision-makers with questions about the values choices they
make and expose their choices to discussion and to scrutiny by the masses,
then we may find a different set of values will be chosen. Is that a naive
belief in some phantom democracy? Maybe. I don't know.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, here are references to some
European publications that deal with these things directly. If you are
interested, I strongly recommend you acquire them. I am willing to discuss
these issues with anyone who is really interested in doing so.