Re: GBlist: Re: GBList: Dust Mites/RH and Infiltration -Reply

Loren Abraham (loren@cstone.net)
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 02:51:22 -0500

Hal:

No disagreement here as long as were are talking about goals for
new construction. This should not necessarily be applied accross
the board to existing buildings. The older the building the more
this is true in my judgement. E.g., many older buildings were
designed for natural ventilation before the days of air
conditioning. Retrofitting these buildings has often involved
many unwise changes that completely destroyed the original logical
air flow through the building and created moisture problems where
none previously existed. A case in point is the Old Executive
Office Building (OEOB) in D.C., which when built had working
natural ventilation and when studied by the Greening of the White
House Team in 1993, had 1,400 window air conditioners and no
natural ventilation. Which do you suppose was the more energy
efficient?

Loren

>From: Hal Levin <hlevin@cruzio.com>
>I agree with Arnie. To quote Jim White of Canada Housing and
Mortgage