Re: GBlist: Why Straw Bales?

Nadav Malin (nadav@ebuild.com)
Tue, 18 Mar 97 16:53:49 -0000

As moderator, I should probably be suggesting that this topic be
reconvened on our sister CREST mailing list: strawbale@crest.org

There is something magically compelling about straw bales, however, so
I'll join in the discussion instead. Responding to Mike's question about
seismic loading, I thought I'd share a comment from Bruce King's new book
on structural engineering with earth and straw (Chelsea Green Press,
distributor, reviewed in EBN Vol. 6, No. 2). King says:

"...we've scarcely begun to explore the potential of the straw bales
alone to serve as structural material...(The only other materials that
can be compressed to half of their height and still be in the elastic
range are steel springs and the family of rubber compounds. Maybe someone
will start making seismic vibration isolators from bales, for they seem
to have all the right qualities.)" --p.131

Nadav