Re: GBlist: Ventilation per John Bower

Norbert Senf (mheat@mha-net.org)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:14:21 -0400

Marc J. Rosenbaum wrote:

(snip)
> So I still aim to make a building as tight as I can (the tightest ones I've
> tested have been ones I've designed and supervised) (snip)

As a very experienced R-2000 carpenter friend of mine pointed out to me
once (up to his eyeballs in acoustical sealant, no doubt): "You can make
this building as tight as you want, but I know that a few years down the
road, somebody is going to be punching a hole in that vapour barrier to
do some renovations. Maybe a mouse will chew a hole in it, who knows?"

Stewart Brand's excellent book "How Buildings Learn" makes for a good
reality check. A good question to ask of any innovation is "Does it age
well?"
Often there is only one way to find out.