Re: GBlist: GBList: High-Efficiency Refrigerators

Hal Levin (hlevin@cruzio.com)
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:03:52 -0800

Traded in my old GE (ca 1970) for a Whirlpool ED22DS. that is the best
energy performer that was on the market in "regular" commercial
refrigerators when I bought it in '95. I use less than one fourth as much
energy. No CFCs in the insulation, they say, as well. It one the prize that
DOE offered for best energy performer. It is very quiet. I could have gotten
a smaller one, but family variables always enter into such decisions.

Down side is that it has an ice maker and and in-door water and ice
dispenser that I do not use. I did not hook them up, but I paid for them. I
am told they save energy too, but they take unnecessary space. I am a
vegetarian, so I don't store frozen meats. And I live here in fresh, organic
produce paradise (California's central coast) and try to eat healthy, so I
don't buy frozen foods - except for an occasional Ben and Jerry's.... You
know, for the late night munchies.....

Europeans who want a "large" refirgerator have to buy an American one. The
biggest ones made there (as seen in appliance stores in the Netherlands) are
around 14 cu ft.

Hal