GBlist: Re: EMF

John Bunzick wrote:

> Herb Jones wrote:
> >
> > I have read in Harrowsmith Magazine a few years ago about the increased
> > incidence of leukemia among children whose beds are next to or under the
> > electrical panel in the house.
>
> I am very, very skeptical of these claims. I have read of dozens of
> studies that did not find that electrical fields cause cancer, with one
> exception of people living near high-tension transmission lines. In that
> case, they were not able to correlate the increased cancers with the
> electric fields, or possibly something else. I hate to see inuendo and
> fear replace real science on these issues, or we'll be spending our
> money solving problems that aren't real, rather than focussing on known
> risks.

I was under the impression that EMF concerns were viable concerns and
were being treated seriously those concerned with the practice of
developing healthy environments and I have long thought that it was
something I needed to familiarize myself with. I did not immediately
reply because I do not have dozens of studies at hand and I thought
someone would jump in with some facts and figures as this seems worth
discussing. To start this discussion I am quoting from an article by
James Beal titled: Current Concerns: Health Effects Update on
Powerlines, Electrical Equipment & Other Aspects of Electromagnetic
Fields
> [...]
>        the environment is now being gathered. We are
>        becoming more aware in recent months of the
>        sensitivity of various life forms to EMF via their
>        sensory system reactions [20], immune system
>        effects [8.9], allergy reactions [10,21], etc. So it is
>        not simply 60 Hz magnetic field strength, as
>        indicated by a.c. milliGauss meters, that
>        determines whether or not a given EMF will have
>        biological effects.
>
>        Undesirable transients on the power line and in the
>        home or business will vary, depending on what is
>        switching on and off, how often, how long and
>        when (day or night, weekdays or weekends). Five
>        recent epidemiological studies in the United States
>        and Sweden [6,14] have shown weak, but
>        consistent, cancer correlations with proximity to
>        transformers, the local wiring code and the
>        number of appliances in the home. Because a
>        specific subject EMF sensitivity profile has not
>        been developed yet, it is likely that the weak
>        epidemiological results were diluted by the overall
>        test population chosen, and the variability in
>        human immune system response to irritating
>        stimuli.
>
>        Repetitious transients and surges (pulse spikes)
>        are not only conducted from power lines into, but
>        also created by, factors in home and business
>        wiring, appliances and equipment. This repetitious
>        long-term exposure may provide a kind of
>        irritation or suppression factor, posing potential
>        hazards to our health. EMF effects have been
>        discovered, at night, reducing brain pineal
>        melatonin hormone production, which affects
>        immune system efficiency, especially in older
>        persons [8,9].
>
>        These effects appear to be caused by the sharp
>        rise and fall of the pulse spikes created by motors
>        and switches (electric blanket thermostat switch,
>        for example) turning on and off. That's the reason
>        for 'prudent avoidance' of operating electric
>        blankets and water bed heaters by children and
>        pregnant women. Dr's Wilson and Reiter made
>        these discoveries during the past year at Pacific
>        Northwest Laboratory and University of Texas
>        Health Science Center, respectively [7,8].
>
>        This points to a probable irritating or suppressing
>        type of influence which would create symptoms in
>        a variety of confusing ways, due to personal health
>        and immune system factors [4]. Persons at risk
>        would be those exposed for years in constant
>        proximity to power line components
>        (transformers, sub- stations), appliances (electric
>        blankets, hair dryers), power tools, switching
>        systems, and other sources of potential rapid
>        transient (switching) EMF [1].
>
>        There is strong stimulus-response evidence,
>        verified by eye pupil variations, that continual
>        long-term exposure can result in allergic reactions
>        to EMF of particular pulse rates, intensities and
>        waveforms [10,21]. Environmentally ill (EI)
>        persons with compromised immune systems,
>        already hyper-allergic to many chemicals, often
>        find that EMF transients are one more irritating
 (*References for the above article available from
       EMFacts Information Service, e-mail:
       emfacts@tassie.net.au

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.