GBlist: making a house "green"

Hi,
I'm purchasing a home in San Diego that was built in 1953.  The seller
has completely renovated the home from top to bottom including new roof,
copper plumbing, rewiring with circuit breaker and ground, replacing
plaster with drywall, new kitchen appliances, new double-pane windows,
new stucco.
I gather from the mail that I've been reading that it's really important
for the house to be properly ventilated.  For instance, I know that the
exhaust fan the seller is installing over the stove is not made to
ventilate to the outside.  The house has wall natural gas and I'm
wondering if I should install a central air/heat system.
Any suggestions on ways to make this house "green" would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you.