FW: GBlist: cutting boards again

I would be interested in hearing John's rant on full spectrum lighting...
Olivia
From: John Bower on Fri, May 2, 1997 11:49 AM
Subject: GBlist: cutting boards again
To: Greenbuilding Discussion

I have a Press Release from NSF International (P.O. Box 130140, Ann
Arbor, MI 48113, 313-769-8010) dated 8/20/93, which is about 7 months
after the original study which found that wood cutting boards were safer
than plastic. The NSF study contradicted the early study and found no
difference in how wood or plastic supported E. coli bacteria. I got the
press release from a wood-cutting board manufacturer, and they agreed
with the second studyothat there's no difference.

Personally, I like stainless countertops. I just has one fabricated for
less money than I would have paid for the raw material to make a Corian
countertop.

RANT: There are a lot of ideas floating around that people love to latch
onto, either because they are simple solutions to complex problems, or
because they just sound good. I place wood vs. plastic cutting boards in
that category. "A wonderful natural material triumphs over a nasty
man-made one." The idea of house plants cleaning the air is another idea
that keeps getting repeatedoin spite of the research showing that plants
have a limited value as  far as removing formaldehyde. Yeah, plants look
nice, but don't expect them to perform magic. Personally, I prefer
succucants because they're less moldy. I'm tempted to rant on about
health benefits related to negative-ion generators, ozone, and
full-spectrum lighting, but I'm afraid I'll offend someone who sells
such devices and then have to spend time defending myself.

John
--
John Bower, The Healthy House Institute
http://www.hhinst.com/    email: healthy@bloomington.in.us