GBlist: Asbestos

As part of a deconstruction project funded be EPA, the NAHB Research
Center did a pretty extensive review of federal EPA and OSHA regs
regarding asbestos-containing materials (ACM=1% or more asbestos by
content)) and materials containing lead-based paint (LBP).  For a
copy of our report, wait about three more weeks for the draft to be
finalized and then write or e-mail me to get a copy of the report on
the Riverdale deconstruction project.  Here are some quick comments:

Friable ACM - by definition, material that crumbles under hand
pressure--pipe insulation.

Non-friable - asbestos bound in a matrix--roofing shingles, resilient
floor coverings.

EPA has non-friable ACM in two categories, class I and II.  Class I
non-friable is material not likely to yield air-borne asbestos during
demolition--floor tile, roofing shingles.  Class II is material which
easily could generate air-borne asbestos during demolition--asbestos
siding shingles, transite board.

NOTE: EPA rules on asbestos include an exemption for all ACM from
residential buildings up to 4 units.

NOTE: OSHA regs, on the other hand, are very exacting regardless of
the building, content, type of material.  The only exemptions from
OSHA regs on asbestos are for resilient floor tile (special
procedures and training for floor installers available from the
Resilient Floor Covering Institute-RCFI) and for asbestos ACM
shingles (procedures available from National Roofing Contractors
Association).

NOTE: CHECK LOCAL AND STATE REGS ON THESE MATERIALS.  THEY MAY
SUPERCEDE OR EXCEED THE FEDERAL REGS.

I still have asbestos siding shingles on my 30+ year old house.  The
shingles are pretty indestructible and the peeling or degradation we
get is from the surface paint, not the asbestos shingle.  It's always
recommended to simply leave these materials in place and alone.
Because the asbestos is bound in the cementitious matrix of the
shingle, air-borne asbestos is only an issue when the material is
drilled, scraped, cut, or sanded.  Asbestos is not a RCRA or CRCLA
"hazardous" material--disposal can be in any permitted landfill but
be careful--some landfills will not accept the material, regardless
of what the regs say.  Confirm a disposal option before you start
removing the material.

During removal and disposal, protect workers at the job site and at
the landfill by bagging the ACM waste and taping bags shut.  Once
covered in the landfill, these materials do not represent a soil or
ground water potential problem.
Peter Yost
pyost@nahbrc.org
301-249-4000 x542