Re: GBlist: Chiller info

Marc J. Rosenbaum wrote:

> A while back I posted a request for small chillers that use refigerants that
> are zero ozone depletion.  Following up leads sent by Margaret Suozzo, I found
> Continental Products, which makes chillers using R-134A in sizes from 5 to 200
> tons.  None of the majors offer similar products.  I still need to determine
> what efficiency I can get from them - their 25 ton air cooled unit has an EER
> of 9.9, and their 30 ton unit 10.2.  This again is higher than what I have
> found from Carrier, Trane, York and McQuay, but Continental may be able to do
> better, since they claim flexibility not available from the majors.  They claim
> to be cost competitive - this remains to be seen.
>
> I hope this helps someone else!
>
> Marc Rosenbaum

Marc:

I know that McQuay provides small chillers in the tonnage range you mentioned.  They use R-134a in these.
McQuay makes decent equipment.

It is probable the chiller may rarely, if ever, operate at full load. For operational efficiency, look closely
at the part load efficiency.  There are standard ARI criteria for part load performance.

ASHRAE has a standard for minimum performance efficiency of commercial HVAC equipment.

Unloaders included?  Also, check on the compressor electric crank case heater KW value.... often overlooked.

As you may be aware, R-134a often requires an oxygen sensor/alarm if located indoors...  it displaces oxygen,
is heavier than air...  check the refrigeration codes...  they may apply to this small sized unit. CFC based
freons require a refrigerant PPM sensor w/ alarms.... depending on application.

Part load performance can be  much improved with installation of a LPA, (liquified pressure amplification, I
believe). This device saves energy at part load by reducing compressor head.  It maybe feasable for your
application.  They work as billed, according to friends in the field.

Best Regards,

Tom Anderson
Tom Anderson