Re: GBlist: Low density concrete

In a message dated 6/16/97 8:35:48 PM, wizodd@netnet.net (Charles Barnard)
wrote:

<<I am in the process of doing the preliminary design for a structure to be
built in the next couple of years on newly aquired property in northern
Wisconsin.

I was considering using strawbales in a manner similar to that used by
buckminster Fuller in the 20's in New York wherein he used excelsier
packing material. To date I have found little on the subject.

Most of the strawbale work I've seen uses them as external above grade
walls.  I wish to use the material below grade.  I was considering using a
concrete made with styrene beads (5-20% by volume) which is then treated
with styrene monomer to disolve/disperse the styrene. This concrete is
supposed to be watertight & chemiclally very inert.  Is anyone familiar
with plastisized concrete projects which have been constructed?  Anyone
know of any below-grade strawbale use?

We are also looking for an architect who is familiar with underground
designs & solar HVAC, the site is about an hour East of Minneapolis next to
I94, so an architect in Mpls-St.Paul area or Eau Claire would be perfect.

My background is in computer consulting of manufacturing systems, but I've
been interestred & reading widley in the field of underground housing &
solar systems for the past 24 years, now I have a chance to build one.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles Barnard
Wizard of Odd
1451 East Mason St.
Greeen Bay, WI  54301-3330

voice 414 436 9009
fax   414 436 9010
net   wizodd@netnet.net
_____________________>>

Hi,

Couple of thoughts.  First, I used a concrete masonry unit called Sparfill on
a number of foundations.  It is a dry-stack concrete block that uses styrenen
beads as the aggregate instead of sand.  I liked the product.  It was strong
enough for residential foundations, had to be reinforced for basement walls
below grade (like vertical rebar and grout), needed reinforcing and pilasters
for point loads (like heavy timber posts).  It stacked fast, was very strong
and the thermal performance was as advertized (at by measured indoor surface
temperatures over the winter).  I have no experience with poured concrete
made in the same way.

Second, if you are interested in talking about underground houses with a
designer in Minneapolis who used to work at the Underground Space Center at
the university, try  Lester Shen at 612-824-6747.

Third, I've spent many years admiring fungi of all sorts.  I've learned not
to tempt them.  Putting cellulose and lignin below grade is grave temptation
for them.  Were I to attempt it myself, I'd do some serious thinking and then
field tests before building a house.  If you do it, keep us posted on this
list. - Terry Brennan