GBlist: Re: SB: in-situ window testing

Nehemiah: Thanks for your posting as attached on the above topic. As
somewhat else mentioned on the SB list, what is the sense of make +R-43
strawbale walls/roofs and then poking holes with R-2 windows
that may even be very air leaky (if reused)? That is why for colder
climates we are researching high performance windows.

Our effort is to do the theory, simulations and fabrication in a short turn-
around real-world application, with Industry partners such as Willmar Windows
and others, without getting stuck in some  academic
lab for months or years. In-field applications (in the real-world human
context), not labs, are the key to success or failure (in this application).

High performance windows can be justified for small windows in critical
areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, etc. where heat loss, comfort and
condensation elimination (together with HRV) are the chief criteria.

When working on +R-17 (Center of Glass, or COG) prototypes, initial costs
are expensive, but no different than any innovative technology, cost
come down later. First we have to answer many more urgent questions such as
it can be built, will it stand up to environmental stresses of the
environment, can you see through them, will the suspended mylar of the
inner glazings develop waviness, is there any condensation, does the
shading coeficient have a perceived effect on view or daylight, what
is the marketing response, is there a real need or context, what is the
actual on-site performance, what are the strengths nd limitations of the
technology, etc. All thses must be answered first and cannot be aborted by
the single criteria of $/SF, no matter how important it is.

I thank you for your post and have already made effort to contact LBL.
However, I am still looking for simple, effective, truthful and down-to-earth
monitoring that can be replicated by others that will do the trick, rather than
imported testing rigs from the LBL that are not applicable at this time.

Any practical enlightenment is always appreciated. Have a wonderful day.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm