Re: GBlist: Sustainable Home In LAH, CA (fwd)

Thank you for your references to composting toilet web sites.  I've seen
these.   The value of this discussion group however is in the practical real
world advice we get from people out there who've used the various systems.
I've done a lot of reading about the many possibilities for the variety of
options we have for toilets, greywater systems, heating water, etc but I
would appreciate receiving experience advice from this group.

An earlier plea regarding the latter topic, for instance, has gone
un-answered. ie, A group who deals in the variety of alternative heating
systems as well as the old-fashioned gas or electric fired hot water heater
says that the latter is the best most efficient way to do it.  Any comments?

Geothermal heating.  What are the precautions of which I should be aware?

Building a house for oneself is a WHOLE lot different than building one for
other folks, that's the rub.

Regarding alternative waste disposal systems, I talked today to a person who
put in a locally approved system composed of a septic tank which drained
into a large 50' by 100'  filter "trench" of large gravel; never heard of
this way before.  But as he suggested, the folks down at the County offices
need to get a people in there who have an educated background and an
ecological outlook to handle the new ways coming down the pike.  And this
county requires only a septic permit.  Aside from the sewer system one can
build anything one wants on ones land.  Crazy.