GBlist: Healthy Homes?-2

Making an old house safer for someone with environmental sensitivities:

LANDSCAPE AND FOOTPRINT CONT.
The most relevant response on the issue of bioremediation (original
posting quoted below)concerned the potential problem of introducing more
biological activity (bacterial scavengers) to someone who would probably
be sensitive to microbial activity.

This still leaves the problem of cleaning up a contaminated area
primarily soil floored crawlspace and perimeter foundation areas of the
house. Given the fact that you do not want to introduce any more
potential contaminants and you want to reduce the impact of existing
conditions on the sensitized person what options would be preferable?

- Cleanup and sterilization of area: what methods should be employed and
if there is still the potential for air from a basement/crawlspace area
to infiltrate the main living area of a house how can you ensure its
quality over time?

- Isolation of basement/crawlspace area from main living area: how can
this be done effectively (recommended insulating materials and sealants)
and what hvac requirements would an isolated basement/crawlspace area
need.

LANDSCAPING QUESTIONS:

What are the elements that would constitute an effective
landscape(design) for a sensitive person. Given a sensitivity to
moisture borne processes would a drier landscape composed of easily
draining materials and appropriate dry plantings be preferred? Any other
issues in the exterior environment that should be considered?

I'm posting this information as general food for thought about the
materials and processes that make up a healthy home and their potential
to compromise health. Any and all comments would be appreciated,
especially if they are posted to the GBlist for general consumption.

John