GBlist: Domestic Rainwater Filtration

<< Lance Collins writes:
 >Here in Victoria, Australia away from the Melbourne area a common technique
 >is not to filter the water but to collect and divert the first 25 to 40
 >litres and then let the rest of the rainfall go straight into the tank.
 The
 >idea is that the first flush washes away the leaves and bird droppings and
 >the rest of the water is of good quality.

I've replied seperately to the original  U.K. enquiry, but a couple of points
for the list:

There's a German manufactured "Vortex" rainwater filter available here which
uses a vortex action to filter out leaves & muck & is (fairly) self-cleaning.
It also has the advantage of letting the first few litres of water pass to
waste rather than into the tank.

Levels of salmonella and one or two other bugs are apparently on the increase
in urban sea-gulls & pidgeons in this part of the world:  we specify
Ultra-Violet sterilization on any rainwater systems connected to potable
water outlets, usually fed through a 5micron cartridge filter .  Has anyone
got any evidence that bugs from bird droppings  would really be washed away
in the first bucketfull of rain coming off the roof ???

(Most of our housing has roofs with slate or ceramic/concrete tiles)

Matthew Hill. Leeds Environmental Design Associates,  U.K.