GBlist: Re: 80% efficient thermopile/Heat Pump

Butch: Further to your suggestion (attached) of a Thermal Electric Generator
(TEG) working off a heat pump (HP): this may be especially interesting if:
1) reused, purged (of freon) fridge/freezer condensers were used
2) if the system is set up as a  cascading system
3) if both heating (space + domestic hot water) and cooling (AC + cool
closet instead of a fridge) were provided
4) if the HP was water or earth coupled

We are planning to do the above, in a 10,000 DDf heating, 44 DDf cooling (68 Df
base) area, and have the hardware on-site. This part of the system would
be very cost-effective (fridges are being retired by the thousands), but not
highly efficient (anticipated COP may only be about 1.25 - 2.0 as a guess). We
may be able to use photovoltaics to operate the system.

Anyone willing to help with constructive suggestions, calculations, simulations,
products, hardware, construction, etc. is welcomed. It may be interesting to
calculate the net Over/Unity (O/U) ratio of a self-sufficient or energy-export
home (craddle-to-grave scenario). Our demonstration project (home/office) has
been operating for 3 years now without a gas line, furnace or boiler, but
not all ancillary systems/projects are completed yet.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm