Re: GBlist: ?s on the user friendly foam alternative (Chris Koehn)

Hi, all--

Many builders and insulators who participated in the Super Good Cents
program sealed large air leaks with polyethylene backer rod. Backer rod is
used in concrete work as the breaker for urethane sealant, to keep it from
sucking down into a  gap like an expansion joint. It's cheap, comes in
different diameters from 1/4 to 2-1/2 inches, and there is a floppy
stuffable version. Works well in large gaps like rough openings, can't
distort window or door frames, doesn't gum up skin or clothing, and is
non-toxic. Here it Portland you can buy it at Mason's Supply Company and at
John Latta and Sons, purveyors of fine sealants.

Mike

>We also use the pageris gun (~$80), as well as several throw-aways (~$30)
>available from EFI <http://www.efi.org/> or J&R 800/343-4446. The pageris
>has an awful habit of getting lost in attics, but if reasonably well taken
>care of - will last for several years. Hilti also makes one, but their
>canisters are pricey.
>
>PurFil from Todol Products (508/651-3818), is ozone & formaldehyde free, but
>has similar ingredients already mentioned. I used it last winter when
>squirrels ate through a soffit to live in my attic - they don't seem to mind
>burrowing in the fiberglass, but they wouldn't eat through the cured foam.
>
>Use correctly and in moderation - you don't have to fill the entire rough
>opening gap around windows and doors, just enough to air-seal them.
>
>best,

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com