Re: GBlist: Lily pads in a pond

97.08.22	1312	edt
** meant to cc to the list--Alex del this xtra copy, sorry!
To Alex Wilson-

Thanks!  Your points are good ones, and I do intent to work on the runoff
problem with Dr Reynolds, the neighbor.  In the past, he attempted to
electric-fence-protect the stream, but the single wire was knocked down
rather quickly.  However, good faith seems to be the rule with him, so that
problem can likely be solved prospectively.

The lilies I have (will have) are about 80% of the pond surface, tooooo
many/much.  I believe this is mainly due to the peninsula that has formed
frm the silt.  I just want to cut some of 'em out and leave a reasonable #
while striving to solve the other causitives (?word).  There are no fish
that I have seen over the years and the selling neighbor (retd navy capt,
water saavy) is not aware of any.  Definitely want some!

The same Ext Agent told me that there were public funds available in some
cases to fence out cattle from streams, something I will suggest to Dr R.

I am curious what the reaction is to the Carp suggestion in another reply I
recd.  I am wary of the english sparrow/cudzuh (sp?) problem of
substituting one problem for another.

Also, another reply suggested a bacterial culture that would alter the
dissolved gas balance, making it less friendly to lily growth, but also
less attractive to Kermit's cuzzes.  If so, not good, want mah bullfrogs
<jug-a-RUM>.

I sincerely appreciate the helpful suggestions I am receiving!
jh

>>97.08.21	1642	edt
>>
>>Does anyone know anything about removing vast quantities of lily
>>pads-"LP's" from a small private pond?  The house we are buying has 'em,
>>and in addition the neighboring large farm thru which the feeding stream
>>runs, has sent us a peninsula of sediment, probably composed of what is
>>feeding the LP's (cattle waste & stomped up dirt).

>>An extension agent mentioned Dacthal (sp?) as an herbicide that will not
>>kill my wonderful collection of frogs (you ought to see some of the
>>Bullfrogs--will have to watch our cats around them :->).  Any thoughts on
>>the LP's and on how to clean up the runoff/sediment?  I want to get some
>>fish in there to get a little ecolab going, keep the frogs company
>>(Jug-a-Rum!).
>
>What's wrong with the pond lilies? Numerous species of native pond lilies
>support a diverse freshwater ecosystem, including providing protection for
>young fish. Using a herbicide on the pond doesn't seem like any way to "get

>Since pond lilies only grow to a certain water depth (several feet), I

 to agricultural runoff, I'd suggest talking with