Re: GBlist: Lily pads in

We own a ranch in New Mexico and live here in Florida, where I grew up.  I
know alittle about both your problems.  Livestock are not a problem if your
ecosystem is intact.

In New Mexico, our ranch is in the northern mts.,  mud is a BIG problem.  And
livestock are as well, both in the erosion and leavings.  The mud is taken
care of there by simply throwing in a couple bales of wheat or oat straw.
 The natural water currents will clean the water.  I have done this myself to
unbeliveable results.  I have often wondered if it was becasue of a chemical
in the straw, filteration, or because these materials were a natural
fluckulent (sp).  But it does work like magic in about two weeks.

Here in Florida where lilly pads and nitrates are also a problem, we have
learned that the last thing you want to do is try and remove them by
mecanicial means...this just makes the problem  worse.  One by leaving plant
matter to break down and yield more nitrates, and secondly by disturbing the
mud that has  traped a great deal of toxic materials over the years in small
quanties and stored and concentrated it there.

I have found two things about cows and water...they will get to it  if they
want to, and they will foul it if they do.  Fencing them out is not the
answer.  Making the bank too steep for them works, but if they can find
anyway to that water they will get to it period.

I have found that the best way to do it is restrict their access to just a
few points, and you do that by bull rushes, or cat tails.  For some reason
cows shy from these unless they are really, really thirsty.

As for the problem with the nitrates, there are a host of plant life that you
will enjoy that will compete with them and  cause them to become less
frequent.

Research aquatic plants in your area and go for it.  I found a funny thing
you may benefit from.  You may have to infest the pond with another water
weed, to get rid of the lillies, and  then another to get rid of the weed.
And yet another to be rid of the weed killing plant.

It took me around 5 years to take my ponds that were nothing but muddy holes
with no vegetation around them for many yards to complete ecosystems complete
with plants, many varieties of fish, and insects, snails...etc.  It just
takes patience and self education.  You will not do this quickly, easily, or
cheaply.  You have to accept the fact that you are working at mother natures
pace and rules.  You will have to  be in it for the long haul.

Best,
Charlie