Re: GBlist: Faswall

Thanks for the report, Sue!

When I toured the green homes in Austin last fall, I noticed some
hairline cracks in the exterior stucco that followed the outline of the
Faswall blocks on the one Faswall house that we visited. Is this a common
problem in your experience?

Also, there was talk about a Faswall production facility getting set up
in or near Austin. Does anyone have an update?

Nadav

>Well, there are quite a few homes here in Austin built with Faswall. The
>product seems to be nice to work with. The labor is the same as CMU- which
>here is quite reasonable since most masons here are from Mexico and are used
>to working with CMU. All homes here have used a two coat stucco on the
>exterior and plaster inside. No moisture barrier.
>
>Insualtion has been achieved by expanded polystyrene inserts into the cavity.
>This is fine for our climate.
>
>The problems here have been availability. It seems that the factory in Iowa
>only works during the summer. Their factory is not heated, so they do not
>work
>during cold or rainy seasons.... There seems to be quite a back log and no
>desire to weatherize their factory.
>
>Sue Barnett
>Green Building Program/City of Austin

EEEE BBB  N   N   ENVIRONMENTAL BUILDING NEWS        rr1 box 161
E    B  B NN  N                                      brattleboro, VT 05301
EEE  BBB  N N N   the newsletter on environmentally  802/257-7300 phone
E    B  B N  NN   responsible design & construction  802/257-7304 fax
EEEE BBB  N   N       http://www.ebuild.com          ebn@ebuild.com