Re: GBlist: Re:Housing Costs etc.

----------
> From: Richard Kadulski <kadulski@cyberstore.ca>
> Here again, it is an issue of lifestyle, and the image that goes along
> with
> it. One of the key issues that you've raised is a higher density urban
> planning. It is a highly liveable configuration. Unfortunately, too many
> people in North America have locked into an idealized suburban ("Beaver
> Cleaver, etc") image, and in fact many become paranoid when you talk
> about
> higher density communities. They are seen as breeding crime, and all the
> bad
> things in urban living - again ignoring the facts, which are that urban
> decay and the problems associated with it are largely economic, and not
> necessarily due to the inherent built form.

A brief look at the history of the situation clearly shows that most inner
city crime is caused by the Drug War. An end to prohibition would mean an
end to most of this crime and a return to the crime rates of the 40's and
50's probably.

But so what? I write my congresscritters about it all the time (they've
stopped replying to my letters now but I still write them).

The fact remains that I am not going to raise my family in an american
city. I've lived in several of them for years and loved it, but it's not a
risk I'm willing to take if I can avoid it, and I can.