Re: GBlist: Kadulski comments on housing costs

At 05:24 PM 8/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>You build custom homes...do the buyers tell YOU what to build with?

Yes, they do if they are involved with the building of this home.  Some
clients I've had are just voices on the phone and checks in the mail, "just
build me a home I will like" I do not like to do these though too vague and
more of my influence than theirs.  But yes, if "joe" wants Corian
countertops or marble, hardwood floors(what kind???)Steel studs interior how
about kd finger joint? or mfr studs?, sub flooring?,... SO YES THEY DO TELL
ME WHAT TO BUILD WITH.

  And how
>to build it?
You can't believe how many "armchair experts" there are out there. "My buddy
said you ought to build this way" or " Uncle Henry says...." " I heard that
this stuff was toxic"   But, yes, to a large extent the blueprint (if lucky
enough to have some that resemble really what they want) IS What they want
and a pretty good prescriptive path to HOW it should go together.  I
recognize that you can have the BEST product in the world but if it is
improperly Installed/Applied it is Worthless.  That's why I have my crews go
through constant training off the job as well as seminars WITH me about new
products out there. If they are happy and like their job they will do better
work and we get a better product and the homeowner is HAPPY and has a home
that will outlast generations.

>I was talking about contractors in gereral.  Most tract housing is done
>before the buyer ever comes along.  And most housing starts here in the US
>are not custom homes.

Yes this is true. But based on their marketing of what is "in" is what they
build. Because that "sells"  What good is it to have a subdivision of homes
that are empty??   I put in my "time" doing dingbats and cookie cutters.
 1. There is No money in that.  I am here to feed my family and have
something to live on some day when all the grand kids are around.
2. I build for people who want out of the "norm" They are tired of looking
at the cookie cutter homes block after block.(although some are repeat
clients that we did work for 15- 25 years ago when they had a full house or
were starting out)
3. Everybody "must" have money to survive, bartering is hard to come by.
4. I do not operate to gore clients,  I was told when I first started
working for my Dad, "You never leave until the customer is happy with what
you've done...even if you have to lose some money making it the way they now
want it."  Because of this we DO not have to Advertise(yellow
pages,papers,radio,etc..)we are busy year round and and turn work down
because we can't get to it.

>I still doubt that you let your clients tell you how to do your job.

No, I am the Professional they may suggest this or that, but almost all rely
on me for the experience as the builder.  As I do not tell them how to fix
my car, repair my computer, dry clean my clothes, operate on my
hernia.............!!!!

>You sell them what you want them to buy.

Again NO , I build what they want!! I did not ask them to come to me to
build their home.  They come to me and say this is the home I want, can you
do it??

>You are the one that has the responsibility to choose the materials and
>methods, green or otherwise.

And this RESPONSIBILITY I take very SERIOUSLY!! It is my job.

>Typical...people that have the income to custom build are usually educated,
>upper middle class or the rich.  What we are talking about is the tract
>house.  And do you tell your clients...I will not build with these materials,
>even when they want them?
We have done quite a few of the Habitat Homes and they will save the owner
lots down the road.  We have a builder south of Chicago area selling
Polysteel homes, lot and house (1200-1600sq feet) for $115,000. I don't
think it's just for the rich!! That's just the majority of who I deal with.
Remember they come to me for the work not the other way around.
If it is an incorrect way to do something YES.  If it is a greener product,
I am open to new ways to try something new or better.(not always the case
though)
Solely depends on the product and its availability to me ,(is there
something I am using now that is as good  avail. here)  How much more or
less work will this product take?  Labor does cost money.

>Or do you just toe the line and give them what
>they want as long as you get your fees..

If they insist on on something we need to find out why? and what is the
benefit of this over that. Will it save them money?  Before, during, after
we are gone?

>I doubt you rock the boat too much..

Well I guess you just don't know me very well.  I am  " That guy who's
building those houses out of concrete and Expanded Polystyrene"  RIGHT IN
THE HEART OF TIMBER COUNTRY AND ALL THESE MILLS.  Don't you know that's not
the way we build around here!!! You know how many times I 've heard that
one.  Radiant heat in concrete? Stamped colored concrete? Polysteel? Steel
studs? Mfr'd studs?  I rock it all day long and keep em' guessing.

.YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. You just
>build for the rich....

Actually I am part of the solution, I am giving people a product THEY want
or need and they don't have this aching feeling in their pocket book when I
am gone.I also try to educate them and get involved with the process of
building their home. I have made some new friends when we are done with the
project. I am researching constantly on the web for newer products and
always watching this forum for new ideas and ways to help some people with
existing homes. I certainly do not believe I am part of the problem, If
trying to build with recycled products that outperform wood and masonry and
steel and don't degrade with the weather is not the answer then what the
hell are we doing?

>What if I told you, you could build the green house of your dream and your
>clients would love you for doing it.  What if I told you there were materials
>you were not aware of that fufill all the desires of any homebuilder,
>educated or not.  What if I told you you could build the home of your dreams
>for less than $25 sq. ft!
>
>You would not believe me?  Would you...then you will never believe me when I
>tell you I just got finished building one for $7.50 sq ft...with a wall R
>value of 73 and a cealing of 150....and this house is wind proof, fire proof,
>etc.  In fact the home will continue getting stronger for the next 100 years
>or so and then stabolize and not begin to degrade for another 1000 years.

I would say enlighten me to your ways! Show us all what we have been missing
and what we've done wrong for so long.

>I do think you are part of the problem...because you perpetuatate the myth to
>your advantage

EXPLAIN THIS ?

....building houses you KNOW are inferrior...but still building
>them.

I KNOW that my homes are NOT inferior.
Straw,stick,block,steel,brick,....none I repeat NONE of these has even
anywhere NEAR the strength our wall does! PROVEN time again in the field and
in the LAB.  Inferior to what??
I will continue to build this way until I find a more cost effective and
BETTER way to build a home that my clients ask for! I am here for them!

>Best,
>Charlie

Thanks again,

Darrin Thornton @ Polysteel Alternative Building Systems, Inc.
664 Hillandale Circle
Eagle Point, Oregon 97524
Office 541-830-FORM (3676)  Fax 541-830-3611
cell phone email text only  5419443626@mobile.att.net
EMAIL: epsform@cdsnet.net
www.cdsnet.net/Business/Polysteel
That's about all the electronic leashes I want!!