GBlist: the "best windows" and other mysteries....

Sacie asked:
<< Jorg,  Who do you think makes the best windows, from the double
perspective
 of energy efficiency and getting your money's worth?... >>

and in a later post mentioned:
<<I forgot to mention that the west facing windows will be shaded by trees
during the
summer, so a shading coefficient is not a big factor.>>

Ah, the problems and challenges of a beautiful west-facing view.  Sacie,
where are you and is summer cooling/dehumidifcation a big concern?  (sorry
for the previous partial send)

"Tree shading" can be a successful compliment to protecting a western view
from unwanted heat gain in the summer.  BUT, a few provisos.  Latitude still
plays a role on the amount of solar gain hitting the windows in the
afternoon.  Tree selection and effective shading (%) should be carefully
considered.  Take heart!  There are many new glazing systems out there that
have fairly LOW solar heat gain coefficients while still maintaining HIGH
visible transmittance.  I highly recommend looking at them if you have a
great western view and alot of unwanted incident solar radiation.  (by the
way, this is even more critical when hoping to USE that western solar gain in
the winters without overheating.)

and regarding those "superior" European windows.  In general, European
windows are "built to last" in part because housing is often being paid for
over three generations!  Many US (and Canadian) windows are also "built to
last" but with a different perspective on longevity.  I DO NOT recommend
"throw away" windows.  They are NOT commodity products and should last as
long as the building!  (OR, am I mistaken, are we now building throw away
buildings?.... subject for another time....)  Windows should last for 20, 50
or 100 years, depending on YOUR needs and expectations for performance and
reliability.  The three companies you mentioned (Andersen/Pella/ Marvin) have
been around for nearly 100 years.    An accident?  Whether you buy a "name
brand" or not, remember to look closely at the warranty and whether the
company will be around if and when you need them.

Good luck in your search.  Keep us posted on the passive solar project!

Chris Mathis
MCSquared