Re: GBlist: environmental windows

Sacie: Anderson is a very progressive company in the US, Willmar in Canada.
The most progressive technology, the most superior windows and the best
education/promotional literature are all from Willmar.They are also very
cost-effective in our experience over many years. We have used Pella but
do not want a Cadillac when a Honda (mine has 444,4000 Km. with no major
repair) is superior. Marvin is good and less expensive than Anderson.
Anderson windows are often very difficult to justify re: cost, but the
quality is there.

DECIDE ON WINDOW SIZES, LIST THEM DOWN, FAX THEM TO 3-5 LOCAL SUPPLIERS AND ASK
FOR PRICE QUOTE. Then set appointments with the 3 best quotes that balance
price and performance.Then work things out with your cooperative salesperson.

My main criteria for windows include (in no particular order):
1) local availability/manufacture,
2) renewable not petroleum-based materials,
3) least embodied energy content/pollution before, during and after manufacture
4) low maintainance,
5) comfort (u or R-value, low E surfaces, type of gas),
6) enlightened/educational company literature
7) progressive environmental action by the company,
8) replacement costs (esp. being a cottage),
9) warantee,
10) service record (do they promptly replace windows under warantee,
11) shading coeficient (daylight)
12) solar heat gain coefficient (passive solar input)
13) white sash
14) UV protection
15) weight (for upper windows, no large triple windows)
16) attitude of salespeople (cooperative vs armtwisting)
17) energy rating
18) etc.

Windows for different rooms have different purposes. Use air between the
panes in the airlock. For a primary residence I would investigate R-5.2-6.3
for the south windows (1 low E + krypton), higher insulation value for the
bathroom (comfort-naked people, moisture-condensation). Don't forget about 60%
of total window heat loss is radiant, so make sure you address this issue.That
is all the free consulting for today.I hope this helps.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm
e-mail: <jdo@acs.ucalgary.ca>