Re: GBlist: environmental windows

Willmar makes a wood (hemlock) window with an aluminum exterior
cladding. I'm not sure about their choice of base material as it would
be primarily old growth from west coast forest and does not perform well
with excessive moisture and does not have the same insulative cell
structure as pine which most other manuf. use - however like other
manuf. of alum. clad windows their wood stock is soaked in both a
fungicide and insecticide (essentially dursban). Unlike other manuf.
they are willing to eliminate this treatment on an order - however they
will void warranties. The question remains as to the function of the
treatment and what happens to the wood under the aluminum that
necessitates such treatment. In other words a fungicide/pesticide
treatment will maintain the existence of the wood under aluminum for the
period of the warranty. In other words the wood rots under the aluminum.
I think it is a poor design concept the life of which is marginally
extended through the use of chemicals - not a bad analogy for
contemporary medicine (couldn't resist).
I'm not sure about the use of wood windows for a
commercial/instituational purpose primarily because of the maintenance
issues involved and the fact that there is so little control over the
usage maintenance materials (finishes, cleaners, etc.) A commercial
steel window with an appropriate finish might be the least
environmentally destructive and most healthy finish for patients to live
with in the long term.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.