Re: GBlist: window solar gains and such

Rod,
        I think Chris Mathias is the resident window guru; when I had a
million window related questions he highly recommended the recently
published book by John Carmody et al.  Here in Kansas we don't have a lack
of sunshine problem thank goodness (and to think we talked about living in
the northwest) however I think solar gain is even more of a problem from
west facing windows than from south.  I too need to figure out the proper
thermal mass/glazing ratio for our latitude.  Am hoping the Carmody book
will tell all.
       The window stickers now should have a number that refers to solar
gain/shading coefficient; I believe THAT is the number you want to pay
attention to when worrying about the heat build up, not the R-value.
        Finally I think you might want to have a thermostatically controlled
fan to let out hot air rather than have to rely on or think about actually
opening a window in the winter (or to pull it into a storage area to be
released once the temperature drops).
        It sounds like the Wilmar Windows you have are double hungs too;
I've always been told that casements are a better choice for air
infiltration.  Wonder if Wilmar has stickers comparable to those required here?
                                        Best,    Sacie Lambertson