Re: GBlist: more on R-20 windows and glazing systems

<<Does anyone (other than a few of us "glazing" zealots) have the least bit
of
concern about the SIGMA data showing about 10+ percent IG unit failure after
10 years?  Have I missed something?  Are there THOUSANDS of companies out
there making MILLIONS of dollars replacing these things and they don't want
anyone to know the size of the problem?  Is this fact reflected in the IG
unit warranties?  >>

Well, yes, I have been concerned not only about the SIGMA data, but about my
own data for years.  For some reason (no doubt something to do with an old
family rule that a few sessions with a bioenergetic therapist and a twelve
step program could ferret out), a window edge seal failing after 7 to 10
years, really pisses me off.

However, the SIGMA data with the really numerous failures is for C and CB
units.  If you produce units with this level of seal performance, you can't
be a SIGMA member.  In order to be a SIGMA member, you must produce units
that test to the CBA level, which in the SIGMA studies ahve a 4.8% failure
rate after 15 years.  The bulk of those failures are in San Francisco (27 out
of 36 failures), which apparently harbors a disturbance in the force that
results in some kind of edge seal hell-hole.  Perhaps Dariush has some
insight into the San Francisco failures?

Lastly, I am continually surprised and delighted by the ebb and flow of
interest on this list.  I posted the question of edge seals last spring and
the thread was entirely different.  I want to keep working on windows
(although I perfer Macs) with folks on this list.  - terry