Re: GBlist: Dollar Value of CO2

>>What is the dollar value of a ton of CO2? Considering the externalities
>>of combustion products, like diminished air quality, respiratory
>>problems, corrosion, is there any formula that has placed a value on CO2
>>emissions.  We are attempting to factor reductions of CO2 as part of the
>>cost incurred in our building energy efficiency standard. Can anyone
>>point me in a direction?
>>
>Bion Howard wrote a paper a few years back entitled "Simplified Pollution
>Avoidance Calculation for Builders".  An article was published in the
>Northeast Sun (publication of the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association)
>in the spring of 1993.  He placed the dollar value of the societial costs
>at 4.8 cents per pound ($96/ton).  You might also want to convert CO2
>numbers to something more meaningful like cars taken off the road or acres
>of trees planted (easier for many people to visualize).  The EPA Green
>Lights program has generated figures for these items (Cars -
>#ofCO2/10590=cars taken off the road; Trees - #ofCO2/5175=acres of trees).
>
>I am still looking for more information on quantifying the environmental
>impacts of energy consumption.  Does any one know of other references
>beside the two mentioned above?

Marcus, I would be interested in the replies you receive in answer to the
above, in case they aren't broad-listed.  I am thinking of launching a green
building awareness campaign with the Architecture school here and need some
more fodder (apparently they lost interest a few years ago so that now there
are no courses offered on this important subject.  Certainly it is true that
most architects out there don't know much about energy efficient building) .
I'm going to start with windows and work in from there.   The new Carmody
book on windows has some good information that relates use to environment
cost.  Of course EBN has lots of statistics too.
     I would like to see references to the cost of adding energy efficient
features to new houses as well as those that talk about the environmental
impact of not doing this, with real-life verifiable references (and few
scientifically derived numbers that mean little to most folks).
                                          Sacie Lambertson