[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Running off DC....

In article <johnstoc-230694105708@oncolpc09.med.unc.edu>,
Charlie Johnston <johnstoc@addor.med.unc.edu> wrote:

>Well, this group looked a bit undersubscribed...so maybe this'll spark
>a thread...or maybe not.

I sure hope it sparks a thread - this is sad - I've never seen a news
group (and such an important one, too) with only one posting!

Charlie,

I'm sending a copy of this to your e-mail address, but also posting it to
the group (if this works), because I have lots of EXCELLENT RESOURCES
that you (and everyone else tuning in here) should know about...
FAQ material!? ;-)

>We live in a fairly rural area, just finished building our very
>conventionally constructed house.  I looked (albeit rather shallowly)
>into alternative construction methods (like earth-berms or stress-skin
>panels) but didn't do anything in the way of alternative energy.

It's too bad you didn't ask sooner!  I notice that you're right here at
Carolina... and one of the best solar energy (and other alternative
energy) information sources is right down the road at NC State - The North
Carolina Solar Center - see address and phone below.  One of the their
services is a tour of solar homes in the Triangle area every November,
and let me tell you, these are some of the most pleasant, comfortable,
attractive and INEXPENSIVE homes I have ever seen.  They run the gamut
from, 1200 sq. ft. up to 6500 sq. ft. (with a full-size indoor
pool)!  Heating/cooling costs run from $200 and a cord of wood ($0 for
cooling) to $300/mo. (including the pool heating and ALL electical
usage)!  Even if you aren't a solar fanatic, you've got to see some of
these homes - the architecture and atmosphere is outstanding - they make
ANY of the developers package jobs (even the very large, very fancy, very
expensive ones - I've seen a few) look like mush.  Sorry, I'll stop...
It's a great, fun, educational tour!

>We have a fair potential for alternative energy generation - situated near
>the crest of a hill with fairly steady wind much of the year, lots of
>south-facing roof for photovoltaics or hot water systems, a 1.5 acre
>pond which is uphill of a small river.  Could a combination of smaller
>scale solar/wind/hydro systems provide enough power for our near-3000 sq.
>ft. home?  My impression is that using DC in this application is more
>efficient than AC, but since you hear of people selling excess wattage
>back to the power companies, I assume some systems must generate AC.
>How available/efficient/costly are DC replacements for major electrical
>appliances ie. air conditioner, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher?

You sound like you're in the perfect position to end up making money
suplying Duke Power (or CP&L) - I think they both have buy back programs
(run your meter backwards)!

The people and resources you should contact are:

The North Carolina Solar Center
Box 7401
Raleigh, NC  27695-7401
1-800-33-NCSUN (1-800-336-2786)

* They offer, as I mentioned above, a solar home tour, their own solar
demonstration house, TONS of literature and references to other sources
(leaflets, brochures, magazines, bibliographies, lists of solar
architects, etc.), and they even provide assistence in planning your own
solar/renewable (wind, etc.) projects (large or small).

Real Goods
966 Mazzoni Street
Ukiah, CA  95482-3471
1-800-762-7325
FAX: 707-468-9486

* They put out a free catalogue which offers lots of very useful (and lots
of 'cute' useless) products for recycling, energy conservation, and (most
importantly) RENEWABLE ENERGY PRODUCTION - solar panels, wind turbines,
even water wheels!  Most of the serious equipment is presented (along with
LOTS of useful information) in their larger ($16 - refundable with purchase)
catalogue, the "Alternative Energy Sourcebook."  They also offer "Wind
Power for Home and Business," and "The Independant Home," 'over 300
pages, with 60 photographs of the homes and homesteaders, and 35
illustrations that demonstrate the technologies.'

The Union of Concerned Scientists
26 Church Street
Cambridge, MA 02238
617-547-5552

* UCS is an excellent private non-profit organization dedicated to
bringing peace, health (especially environmental), and stability to the
world.  They produce a great variety of extremely valuable and
well-researched materials on renewable energy (everything from passive
solar home design to massive commercial scale solar/geothermal power
plants and biomass to hydrogen fuel cells, which will eventually power
your pontiac after we kill each other over the last drop of oil).  Books,
brochures, newsletter, videos, etc.  Call 'em up and ask, and join!

Worldwatch Institute
1776 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.
Washington, DC 20036-1904

* They research and produce a great series of "Worldwatch Papers" on a
variety of subjects, "Worldwatch Magazine", and "State of the World," a
very interesting, useful, and highly regarded annual paperback.

Here are a few (of the many) additional organizations (taken from the
North Carolina Solar Center Bibliography:

American Solar Energy Society
2400 Central Ave., B-1
Boulder, CO  80301
303-443-3130

Conservation and Renewable Energy Inquiry and Referral Service (CAREIRS)
P.O. Box 8900
Silver Springs, MD  20907
1-800-523-2929

National Appropriate Technology Assistance Service (NATAS)
P.O. Box 2525
Butte, MT 59702
1-800-428-2525

North Carolina Alternative Energy Corporation
P.O. Box 12699
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
919-549-9046

North Carolina Solar Energy Association
850 West Morgan Street
Raleigh, NC  27603
919-832-7601

Solar Energy Research Institute
1617 Cole Blvd.
Golden, CO  80401
303-231-7303 (Technical Inquiry Service)

Go for it!  Good luck!  Have fun!  Let me know if you put of this to work
for you - I need the vicarious pleasure and satisfaction (I'm a poor,
renting graduate student)!

- Jonathan Parkinson (jmp@unc.edu)
Dept. of Biology, CB# 3280
Univ. of North Carolina