[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Schoolyard Habitat Help with problem?

  Hello,

  My name is Rick Hurlburt, I am the project coordinator for Nature's Garden
schoolyard habitat located on 13.5 acres of town owned property in Branford,
Ct.

  My wife Leslie and myself along with many volunteers have been developing
this habitat since June of 1997, we have given up countless hours and alot of
sweat i.e. we have laid 1,200 ft of handicap accessible pathways, 650 ft. of
underground water line, trucked in 50,000 lb. of granite for use as sundial,
step, monument, and raised beds, planted butterfly garden, built a picnic
area, built a 60 ft. diameter hummingbird garden, along with many other
things, all made possible through contributions from area businesses.

  The reason I am contacting you is because I am faced with the hardest part
of this project and I am reaching out for other ideas, My problem is that the
education dept. in our town does not seem to see this habitat as an asset to
their curriculum.  Nature's Garden is being developed behind an old school
which is now being used to house Branford Daycare Center which is located
within 1 mile of 4 out of 5 of our town schools.  Each time I speak to anyone
in the education system from board members to the superintendent, I am told
that it is not in their budget to be able to provide transportation to and
from Nature's Garden without a charge to the children.

  I would like to know If someone might have an idea on how to help me with
this problem, and If anyone has ideas on how I can help our educators to see
that education of today's children concerning environmental issues will ensure
a future for tomorrow.

  Nature's Garden is a schoolyard habitat certified by the National Wildlife
Federation.  We are committed to the environmental education of children.

                                            Sincerely,
                                              Rick Hurlburt