Re: On Colwell's Rule

Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:48:32 -0700 (PDT)

Mike:
You misunderstand if you think that my exegesis of theos in Jn
1:1c is based upon the Trinitarian argument regarding Sabellianism.
We certainly do not have to resort to reading our theology into the
passage here (of course, that is not always wrong - comparing scripture
with scripture is essentially that). But for those who argue for the
definiteness of theos in 1:1c on the basis of the immediately preceding
pros tov theon, then what they are saying is that the Logos was God the
Father. This, of course, is Sabellianism and a denial of the Trinity
to which I was referring.
Attempts to argue for definiteness here because of Colwell's rule
is the abuse of Colwell's rule which prompted the writing of my thesis.
His rule cannot be used to affirm definiteness here, because his rule
affirms only the probability of articularity - not definiteness, which he
assumes.
The force of theos is qualitative. My thesis shows that the
probability to be 88% (for anarthrous predicate nominatives in general in
John's Gospel), and 94% for precopulative anarthrous predicate
nominatives. Furthermore, the contrast with v. 14 argues for
qualitativeness (diety ... humanity). Also, the parallel with the
preceding clauses argues for it (the preexistence of the Logos [1;1a],
the distinct personality with the Father [1:1b], etc.).

Paul S. Dixon, Pastor Check out my doctoral product:
Ladd Hill Bible Church "The Evangelism of Christ: a Model for
Wilsonville, OR 97070 Evangelism Today"
http://users.aol.com/dixonps/evangelism.htm