Re: 2 Thess. 6-7

Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:02:45 -0700 (PDT)

Don, you say, "I am left with the theory that the purpose may not be that
of the subject of the main verb, as you argue, and that seems very
strange from the viewpoint of Greek grammar."

I think you got it backwards. My view (EIS TO clause depends upon the
immediately preceding OIDATE rather than the more distant TO KATECHON) is
the one where the purpose clause is the purpose of the subject of the
main verb. The subject of the main verb (OIDATE) is "you," not TO
KATECHON (what restrains) which is the object of the main verb. So, your
view "seems very strange from the viewpoint of Greek grammar."

Also, how does my linking TO MUSTERION (v. 7) back to TO KATECHON (v. 6)
border "on the fallacy of equating natural order with grammatical"? I
neve said TO MUSTERION is a person. The following genitive TNS ANOMIAS
is almost certainly appositional. Lawlessness is not a person. My point
is simply that the neuter TO KATECHON (v. 6) is apparently explained
(GAR, v. 7) by the neuter TO MUSTERION ... TNS ANOMIAS.

Paul S. Dixon, Pastor Check out my doctoral product:
Ladd Hill Bible Church "The Evangelism of Christ: a Model for
Wilsonville, OR 97070 Evangelism Today"
http://users.aol.com/dixonps/evangelism.htm