BETL?

From: Randy Leedy (rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 13:08:07 EST

I'm reading an article in CBQ that references another article in
BETL. My issue of CBQ, the only issue at hand, does not contain a
list of abbreviations, and I don't recognize this one. I'm hoping
someone will recognize it and, at very little expense of time, post a
quick answer. Putting the answer on the list will save others the
bother of replying. If I don't see an answer in a day or so, I'll
just dig it up for myself on my next trip to the Library, so I'm not
asking anyone to do any significant amount of my work for me.

Thanks in advance,

Randy Leedy
RLeedy@bju.edu

By the way, an interesting point from the CBQ article (July 97, p.
476ff.), dealing with I Cor. 8-9: "This authority of yours" (hH
EXOUSIA UMWN hAUTH) in 8:9 works well if read sarcastically: "This
'authority' you want to make so much of," similarly to "This son of
yours" on the lips of the prodigal's older brother. This reading is
consistent with the apparent sarcasm in v. 10: "Will you 'build up'
(OIKODOMEW) the weaker brother's conscience to eat the sacrificial
meat and thereby destroy him?" (my paraphrase). It also removes the
apparent difficulty of Paul's seeming to grant the Corinthians the
theoretical right to eat such meat in chapter 8 while in chapter 10
he clearly condemns the eating as a matter of fellowship with demons,
a difficulty which has led to quite a number of questions about the
integrity of this section.

But this is potentially another thread, and I'm not sure I'm game to
pursue it on the list at this point.