re: Re: The Translation of the LXX

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 07:17:12 EST

>Because some of the elements appear to be legndary e.g. 72 translators
>being separated and then when their individual translation were compared,
>each of the copies were worded indentically the same.
>

>At 09:19 AM 1/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Thank you Kevin. Why do you refer to Aristeas' proposal as being a legend?

I want to add a note. The Ep. ad Aristeam only describes the origins of the
Pentateuch, not the entire Greek OT. If you read it, you also discover that
King Ptolemy winded and dined them--and in the symposium tested their
wisdom. In that sense the work is an apology for Judaism.

The Neviim and Cethuvim were translated by various people, at different
times. There are involved theories about the different recensions.

Look up the articles in the Anchor Bible Dictionary and IDB. You might also
consult the Cambridge History of the Bible and S. Jellicoe's work on the
Septuagint for more detailed information.

There is also an edition, by Moses Hadas if my memory serves me, in the
Dropsie College series on Jewish apocrypha and pseudepigraphic works
published almost a generation ago now by Harper and Row.

Youi might also read the introduction to the Rahlfs edition for a brief
account of different recensions.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago