Re: Greek Concordances and Lexicons

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 11:11:20 EDT

Dear Anthony, and Colleagues:

(Sorry to be late writing this--but my college computer crashed, and I've
been three days with nothing. Back on line now.)

As for LEXICON, I'm in total agreement with Carl: wait for the revision of
Bauer--Fred says it will be next spring or early summer (BDAG by then).
But if you must have one now, buy the current version.
Louw and Nida is very nice, for its purpose; but Bauer is indispensable.

As for CONCORDANCEs:

If you are going to have only one (all most people need), buy the
Friberg Analytical for $50 -- those two volumes are MAGNIFICENT! And
the price is really great. (Nichael Cramer and I jostled each other
at one of CBD's warehouse sales, trying to get DAMAGED copies at that
price, $25 per volume. You will find that many, many questions will be
answered by their careful use which can be found in no other hard-copy
concordance.

(I persoanlly own every Greek concordance in print, and some out of print--
I even have two copies of several: Aland's Komputer-Koncordanz, Moulton-
Geden, Kohlenberger, and yes, an extra of one of the two Friberg volumes
[Cramer probably got the other one]. The second copy is so that I will
have one in my study at home and one in my school office. Also two Bauer's
and two LSJM's (when the new Glare Supplement came out, I bought it and
gave one of my two to a colleague). I'm not well-to-do, always living on
only my salary as a professor, but I'm a strong believer in the basic
tools, as a hand-craftsman would be.

Anyway, buy Friberg, if you are willing to learn to use it, and then use it.

Edward Hobbs

---------------Anthony wrote----------->>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am sorry to pose a question to the list which has surely been addressed
repeatedly, but I am having trouble with the archive search.

What would you recommend as the best Greek Concordance to the NT and the
best Lexicon of the NT? I want something of a very high scholarly nature,
and price is not much of an obstacle.

As for Lexicons, all I have is the LSJ 9th. For the NT I was thinking of
either Louw and Nida or Danker.

For a concordance, I was thinking of the Analytical Concordance of the
Greek New Testament by the Fribergs, since it is a closeout item at CBD at
$49.90.

D. Anthony Storm
dstorm@2xtreme.net
http://www.2xtreme.net/dstorm/