I Peter 4:1-6

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 07:31:52 EST

Below is my translation of I Peter 4:1-6. I have no one, other than this
list, to bounce my effort off of, so would you help me by telling me where I'm
weak, where I'm strong; where you agree or disagree? Responses not
appropriate to the list are still welcomed privately.

The translation has not rigorously followed one method, though the method
closest is perhaps dynamic equivalence. I simply have attempted to catch the
meaning.

I readily admit my understanding of SARC is, I think, rather novel; it assumes
they understood that physical processes result in desires, thoughts, and even
action. Also, I've used "y'all" to solve the lack of an English plural you.
(FWIW.)

Thank you very much ahead of time.

--- I Peter 4:1-6 ---

XRISTOU OUN PAQONTOS SARKI KAI hUMEIS THN AUTHN ENNOIAN hOPLISASQE, hOTI hO
PAQWN SARKI PEPAUTAI hAMARTIAS, EIS TO MHKETI ANQRWPWN EPIQUMIAIS ALLA
QELHMATI QEOU TON EPILOIPON EN SARKI BIWSAI XRONON. ARKETOS GAR hO
PARELHLUTWS XRONOS TO BOULHMA TWN EQNWN KATEIRYASQAI, PEPOREUMENOUS EN
ASELGEIAIS, EPIQUMIAIS, OINOFLUGIAIS, KWMOIS, POTOIS, KAI AQEMITOIS
EIDWLOLATRIAIS. EN hWi CENIZONTAI MH SUNTREXONTWN hUMWN EIS THN AUTHN THS
ASWTIAS ANAXUSIN, BLASFHMOUNTES hOI APODWSOUSIN LOGON TWi hETOIMWS EXONTI
KRINAI ZWNTAS KAI NEKROUS. EIS TOUTO GAR KAI NEKROIS EUHGGELISQH hINA KRIQWSI
MEN KATA ANQRWPOUS SARKI ZWSI DE KATA QEON PNEUMATI.

Therefore, since the Messiah suffered in His physical nature, you should
also arm your attitude so that the passions of your physical nature would
cease from sin. Your remaining time should not be spent for the benefit
of human lusts, but for God's purpose. For we've had enough of what the
nations are intent on doing. Things which, when they reach their natural
destination, result in unrestrained immoral actions, lusts, drunken
binges, wild parties, orgies, and disgusting times of idol worship.

They who blaspheme in this way are entertained by y'all's not joining
them in living to the same reckless excess. Their own nature will speak
to the one who is readily prepared to judge the living and the dead.

So, it is for the following end the gospel was preached, even to the dead:
That though humans judge by how the physical nature is benefitted;
God measures by how people live to benefit their spiritual nature.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us