Re: Book Evaluation Requested

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 06:37:36 EDT

Theodore H Mann schrieb:

> Are any of you qualified textual critics familiar with a series of books
> entitled "New Testament Greek Manuscripts," by Reuben Swanson? (
> http://www.dfscott.com ) The series presently consists of the gospels
> plus, I think, Galatians. Each volume lists NT variant readings (printed
> out in full) in horizontal lines against Codex Vaticanus, which is used
> as the exemplar, and is printed in its entirety. (Isn't the TR usually
> used for this purpose?) [...]

Hi Ted,

While being neither a qualified textual critic nor yet familiar with
Swanson's work (my 6 volumes await me in Texas), I wanted to comment
according to my expectations...

Waltz, at

http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/CriticalEds.html#Swanson

says that the text used is not "B", but United Bible Societies'. The
Codex Vaticanus might consistently be shown in the first line of the
apparatus, but other than that possible "prominence", it is given no
special attention. That is, all differing readings found in the MSS
Swanson examines are spelled out in parallel, with -- I think -- no
intention of "promoting" one over the other.

I am not aware of a critical edition using the TR as its text (though
some of Souter's is to follow the TR). Hodges & Farstad edited a
majority text, but most critical eds use a "more-Alexandrian" text.
While a crit. ed's provided text can be a matter of convenience
(allowing one to more quickly peruse a passage if the text used is
familiar), its value is quite secondary to the apparatus, IMO. That is,
no matter how obscure the text of a crit. ed. might be, or no matter how
much or little import one might assign to it, this doesn't lessen the
value of the apparatus. Swanson's apparatus is to be valued not only for
its generous and lucid layout, but also (per Waltz) for its relative
balance toward witnesses included, as compared to Alands' relative
anti-Byzantine bias.

As soon as I get this (East-Asian Marketing) thesis out of the way, I'm
catching a flight back to Texas to pick up Swanson's and other awaiting
"goodies"...

Hope you're all having a great weekend,

David

D. W. Roe